A Slice of History
The original Bredenbeck’s was opened in Philadelphia’s Northern Liberties neighborhood by Frederick Robert Bredenbeck, an immigrant baker from Bavaria, in 1889.
The bakery was an instant success and eventually expanded to include stores in Mayfair, Germantown and Mt. Airy. In 1954, the Bredenbeck family handed the business over to Walter and Otto Haug, two longtime employees who impressed the Bredenbeck’s with their loyalty and devotion.
Thirty years later, in 1983, Walter Haug’s daughter, Karen H. Boyd-Rohde, opened Bredenbeck’s current location in the Chestnut Hill section of Philadelphia.
Since then, Boyd-Rohde has established Bredenbeck’s as one of the most well-known, well-respected bakeries in the Philadelphia region. A self-taught baker and driven entrepreneur, Boyd-Rohde has instilled at Bredenbeck’s a deep respect for the time-honored traditions of scratch baking while at the same time expanding the bakery’s reach and customer base. Boyd-Rohde opened the bakery’s Ice Cream Parlor in 1985, and has in recent years made Bredenbeck’s treats available on the Web. Today, Bredenbeck’s treats are shipped from coast to coast.